Before you mention how lucky I am to have summers off consider that summer vacations are EARNED. Teachers work long hours during the school year. We give up weekends and evenings. Plus many of us spend summer catching up on continuing educational credits, perfecting our craft, teaching summer school, working on lesson plans, and working a second job ( and catching up on blog posts).
I'm spending my summer break working on lesson plans, planning a retreat for my chapter of my Sorority, working out and catching up with my friends. I feel like I neglect my friendships during the school year.
However I'm so ready for a vacation! I am thankful for my mom teaching me the value of a good vacation. Every year we would take a family vacation where we would relax but also do at least one educational activity (for example going to Pearl Harbor while visiting Hawaii). My students always think I'm so glamorous and rich because I love to travel but it really is a priority for me so I make sure I save up for it. I'm still recovering from my year of unemployment so unfortunately a fancy vacation is not in the budget this year but I'm already saving for 2016!
When I travel I like places that are warm and have a lot of history (I'm a History teacher) My top 5 vacation places are
1. Anywhere and Everywhere in Italy- Honestly I've wanted to go here for YEARS. Originally it was supposed to be my college graduation trip but it never worked out. Now it is my number one choice for my next vacation mainly because I LOVE history and Italy has it in abundance.
2. Anywhere in Greece - isn't it beautiful? If you haven't heard Greece is having a bunch of financial problems. It may end up being a great cheap trip or a great way to get stranded in Europe.
3. Abu Dhabi and Dubai, United Arab Emirates- I'm not quite sure how I'm became obsessed with Abu Dhabi and Dubai but both have been on my radar for a few years. I've read up on both places and they seem to be the crown jewels of the Middle East. I can't wait to go. While the cites are not known for their history they are known for world class shopping but I'm more interested in exploring the culture.
4. Cape Town, South Africa- Actually there are many countries in Africa I would love to visit but (again) the rich history of South Africa moves it to top of my list.
5. San Juan, Puerto Rico- My friend and I planned a awesome trip to her hometown then we stopped being friends. I still want to go. It has everything I love, beaches, sun, and a amazing culture and history!
Trust me, my travel list is a lot longer. What do you think of my picks? What are some places that you want to visit?